April 23, 2010

Mind Voyage Flight Status!


Time for a flight status check.  How are you progressing with your voyages?    I didn't have enough fuel to get beyond earth's atmosphere and have been orbiting earth for a while.   I'm coming back in to refuel and make sure I have enough fuel this time to get beyond earth's atmosphere.  Plus ground control has been monitoring my activities, telling me I've missed a few in flight procedural and checklist reports and I need to improve my job performance as commander. 


So far I have finished:

The Demolished Man (review) by Alfred Bester 
Dune by Frank Herbert  (review)  (1966 Hugo winner)
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (2006 Hugo Winner)  Review will be forthcoming
Under the Dome (review) by Stephen King (side trip)
Eye of the World (review) by Robert Jordan (side trip)

Now that I've refueled, will be taking off and shooting for the moon again.  The following books are waiting for me onboard.

Moon Voyage:

Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury(1954 Hugo)
Starship Troopers by Robert Heinlein (1960 Hugo)
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller (1961 Hugo)
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein (1967 Hugo)
To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Phillip Jose Farmer (1972 Hugo)
The Vor Game by Lois McMaster Bujold (1991 Hugo)

Shoot to Mercury to complete the Robert Heinlein Quest and read:


On to Uranus and Side Trip through the 70's

A Choice of Gods by Clifford Simak

Unclassified side trips

Bearing an Hourglass by Piers Anthony
Death Dream by Ben Bova
Outlander by Diana Gabaldon
Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind


There are so many other books I want to read on my wishlist including the 2010 Hugo nominees along with Philip Dick's The Man in the High Castle and Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. I have the your eyes are bigger than my stomach syndrome when it comes to books.   The plan is to get through the books on my nightstand before buying anything else.  Easier said than done, but I will be strong.  I hear the whisper Resistance is futile being whispered in my ear.  

I promised ground control I would check in on a regular basis so will be reporting in at least once a week.  Ground control told me to take advantage of my flight crew, fellow mind voyagers and passengers in order to remain on schedule.   I would appreciate any suggestions you have, plus authors or books you like to see spotlighted, or if you would like to take control for a day and be a guest poster,  please let me know.   

"Think left and think right and think low and think high.  Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try!  ~Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!"

How are you progressing with your voyages?

2 comments:

icowdave Friday, April 23, 2010  

Flight status is a good idea. I've been feeling a bit behind in my reading for the challenge and I've been wondering how others are faring with their lists. I keep getting sidetracked with other books that I have on hand.

Here are the ones I've read so far:

* Dune by Frank Herbert (1965 Nebula and 1966 Hugo winner)
* The Forever War by Joe Haldeman (1975 Nebula and 1976 Hugo winner)
* Kiln People by David Brin (2003 Hugo nominee)

I've read 4 other books not on my list as well. Reading Eye of Cat by Roger Zelazny now. When I finish it I'll try to get back on track. If I can get caught up I'll probably extend my flight by a few books too.

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours Monday, April 26, 2010  

I’m doing really well with this challenge so far! I’ve read five books:
* The Handmaid’s Tale (1987 Arthur C. Clarke award, plus others)
* Kindred (no awards but a fabulous book)
* The Sparrow (1998 Arthur C. Clarke award, plus others)
* Genesis (2007 Esther Glen Award for children's literature)
* Old Man’s War (2006 Hugo nominee)

I’m currently reading Stranger in a Strange Land (1961 Hugo winner)

Up next is The Invention of Morel (1941 First Municipal Prize for Literature of the City of Buenos Aires)

I’m REALLY enjoying this challenge – it’s getting me to read things I’ve always meant to get to, and others that are completely new to me. Thanks again for hosting this!

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP