September 19, 2010

Journey's End!

Canyon Bend - Courtesy Moodflow.com

Journey's End

I'm coming in for a landing, having reached the end of my journey.  I've run out of gas, food and energy.   Was I successful, let's see
 
  1. The Demolished Man - Alfred Bester (Hugo 1953) 
  2. Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury (Hugo 1954)
  3. Dune - Frank Herbert  (Hugo 1966) 
  4. The Moon is a Harsh Mistress - Robert Heinlein  (Hugo 1967)
  5. Spin - Robert Charles Wilson (Hugo 2006)
  6. A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller  - 1961 Hugo  Started and couldn't finish
  7. To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Phillip Jose Farmer  1972 Hugo Started & couldn't finish
  8. The Mists of Avalon - Marian Zimmer Bradley
  9. The Eye of the World - Robert Jordan 
  10. Something Wicked This Way Comes - Robert Heinlein
  11. www.wake - Robert J. Sawyer
I successfully completed the moon voyages by reading 6 Hugo winners and the Mercury Voyages by reading two Robert Heinlein books.   It seems I did go to Pluto and back, kind of meandering about through the stars on my way.  I discovered a few things along the way - that I can't read all of one genre without getting bored, I need a variety.  That books which entertained and engaged me back in my 20's, no longer engage me in my 50's.   That I've gotten rather picky about what I do read and if I'm not enjoying it, stop reading, put the book down and go on to something else.   That I don't like time limits and too many choices overwhelm me.    

So, my journey has come to an end.  We started out with 26 voyagers joining me and all have crash landed except for maybe Eric, Heather and Miss Mouse.   I'm going to let the blog go static for the rest of the year because honestly, I simply don't have the energy to maintain it.  Life is set to get a bit more busy in the coming months with the start of my next class, Short Stories and Nanowrimo in November, plus other writing projects I want to work on.  Thank you to all who have been participating, following and lurking. 

"Nanoo Nanoo!"-  Mork
 


5 comments:

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours Monday, September 20, 2010  

Great job with your reading! I'm still working on this challenge ...

Mouse Saturday, September 25, 2010  

Thank you Robin for hosting this challenge, I had fun. Best of luck with class and all your upcoming projects. Check in every once in a while and share them with us, k?

Unknown Wednesday, September 29, 2010  

I've read a handful of these and have quite a few of the others on my list. But I agree about the necessity of variety. Too much of a good thing all at once can become a bad thing pretty quickly!

Robin M Wednesday, September 29, 2010  

Heather: Look forward to hearing about the rest of your journey

Miss Mouse: Check in with me at mytwoblessings.com Thanks for joining in.

K.M: Thanks for following and yes variety is the spice of life.

Eric Thursday, October 14, 2010  

I'm sorry to admit I never really did follow the blog on here.

That said, this challenge has been a great way for me to kickstart my return to reading fiction. I'd missed WAY too many authors over the last 10-12 years.

Thanks for running things, Robin!

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP