June 30, 2010

July Status check

July Status Check

We are half way through the year and time for a flight status check.  How are you all doing on your voyages.   I've discovered some interesting things - that the same books I loved when I was 25, I don't so much when I'm 50.   Have my tastes changed or just more discerning.    I'm kind of winging it at this point and my original list has been retired.  When I last checked in had finished 5 books:

The Demolished Man (review) by Alfred Bester (1953 Hugo Winner)
Dune by Frank Herbert  (review)  (1966 Hugo winner)
Spin by Robert Charles Wilson (review) (2006 Hugo Winner) 
Under the Dome (review) by Stephen King (side trip)
Eye of the World (review) by Robert Jordan (side trip)

Since then I've completed 
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury - 1954 Hugo and soon to be reviewed
www.wake by Robert J. Saywer -  2010 hugo nominee and soon to be reviewed.
A Canticle for Leibowitz by Walter Miller  - 1961 Hugo  Started and couldn't finish
To Your Scattered Bodies Go by Phillip Jose Farmer  1972 Hugo Started and couldn't finish.

I'm currently reading 1967 Hugo winner "The Moon is a Harsh Mistress" by Robert Heinlein.  My Moon voyage is basically complete.   During July I plan on reading the other 2010 hugo nominees:  Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, The City & The City by China Miéville, Julian Comstock: A Story of 22nd-Century America by Robert Charles Wilson, Palimpsest by Catherynne M. Valente and The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi.   The rest of the time I'll be floating through the atmosphere reading whatever across my radar.

For the remainder of the year, I'm going to post a monthly Mr. Linky to link to our reviews instead of continuing with the one major link.  Links to the posts will be put in the sidebar so can be found easily.   

How many of you are still with me and what have you been reading?

2 comments:

Eric Thursday, July 01, 2010  

I had "signed up" for the voyage to the moon and the slingshot back to earth.

The slingshot has been completed (Red Mars, American Gods, and Falling Free) and I'm two short on the voyage to the moon (AG, Hominids, To Say Nothing of the Dog, and A Fire Upon the Deep).

For other side trips, I've gotten one for Mars (The City & The City, which may still count towards the Moon), three for Jupiter (three of the books already mentioned count), and three for Saturn (Falling Free, The Handmaid's Tale, and Tea with the Black Dragon.)

All told, I'm expecting to read 16 books across the five challenges, and I've read 9. Over half way there!)

Heather J. @ TLC Book Tours Friday, July 02, 2010  

I'm still in! I've read about 5 of the 12 books on my list so far. ..

  © Blogger template 'A Click Apart' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP